I love this Spring time of year! My flowers are coming up and the birds are singing and making their little nests. I have my vegetable seeds ready to be planted soon. And I love that I don’t have to bundle up to go outside. But, our weather is still up and down. We had snow and freezing temps a couple days ago but it’s supposed to be 74 tomorrow. Who knows, mother nature may still give us some more snow! Covid is on the rise here AGAIN! Inflation keeps going up! Fabric prices are ridiculous and every day the world looks more like a mess! Who’d have thought we’d be ever so thankful for keeping all those scraps. I think maybe we are not so crazy after all. For me, I’ll just stay home, quilt away and forget all about that other stuff! Thank you very much!!! But I guess I still like Spring!!!
In todays clue we will be finishing up the pinwheel block construction. Next month will be assembling and revealing the surprise! As you work on this months block I know the procedure may be a little strange or different than most of you are used to doing. You may be thinking WHAT!!???!!! Just make sure you read and follow the directions. I’m sure some of you could have figured it out a “better” way but this is what came out of my brain. I’ve made this quilt twice now and I know it works. I guess maybe that’s the surprise!!! Well anyway, here is the clue.
Pinwheel Surprise – Clue #4
- Using the Pinwheels blocks that were made in clue #2, sew one 2″ x 8 1/2″ inside border fabric strip to opposite sides of the block as shown. Press.
- Sew one 2″ x 11 1/2″ inside border fabric strip to the opposite sides as shown to make the border. Press to make a 11 1/2″ square block.
- Cut the 4 3/4″ Outside border fabric squares on one diagonal. Place one HST (half square triangle) face down (right sides together) on the pinwheel block so that top is even with the top of the block and the point lines up to the pinwheel as shown. Sew.
- Add one more outside border HST’s and two light colored background HST right sides together as shown below. Sew and press open.
- Trim the block to 12″ square as shown. Make 10 (14) 22.
- All sizes – make 4 blocks with 3 outside HSTs and one background HST as shown below.
- Large size quilts Only – make 10 blocks with 4 background HST’s.Well, that should keep some of you busy for a little while. Next time we’ll put it all together. Stay tuned for May 11th and the reveal! Until then – Happy Quilting!
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS INFORMATION ON FACEBOOK.
I ask that you send people here to the website for information. If you have not joined in the fun on Facebook, check me out at MakingScrappyQuiltsWithCharlotte. I love seeing all your hard work and getting to chat with you a bit.
Please feel free to direct others to this website for the information and clues.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION!
© 2022 Charlotte Hawkes. All rights reserved.
Written permission is required to copy and/or distribute copies of this pattern whether or not you profit from it.